Nurse/RN (2022-2023) - Med Surg
Company: Keller Independent School District
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Implement District health services program to best meets the needs
of the student population on the assigned campus. Provide health
services to students. Promote health and safety education for
students and preventive health practices for students.
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with
Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties and
responsibilities noted herein, however, this list represents
examples only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions
and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
* Model KISD core organizational beliefs and values; communicate
openly and effectively within and across teams; and manage
resources to effectively support District goals.
* Provide program support and service delivery; communicate
effectively within and across teams and participate in
cross-functional work groups.
* Maintain a commitment to the District mission; model District
expectations through personal leadership and actively support the
efforts of others to achieve District goals.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
* Provide direct care using professional assessment skills, the
nursing process, individualized
healthcare plans (IHPs), and established school health protocols.
Provide health counseling and instruction to individual
* Assess student problems, communicate with parents regarding
individual students, and ensure appropriate referrals and follow up
as needed. Serve as a liaison between school personnel, the family,
healthcare professionals, and the community.
* Notify parents of accident or illness. Secure emergency medical
care for students as needed.
* Develop and implement individualized healthcare plans (IHPs) and
evaluate outcomes of skilled and direct nursing care and procedures
for medically fragile students to ensure safe integration of the
student into the school environment.
* Serve as health advocate for students.
* Ensure that medications are administered to students according to
district policy and procedures.
* Establish and implement effective procedures for carrying out
mandatory screening programs.
* Participate in development of campus health education curriculum,
educate faculty and staff as needed on health-related topics, and
provide health education to individuals and groups including
contributing to campus communications to parents and the local
community regarding health issues.
* Collaborate closely with campus principal and other staff and
provide leadership to ensure a healthy school environment. Work to
meet the health needs of the general school population and those
students with identified health conditions.
* Participate in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee (ARD)
meetings of students with identified health needs and develop
Individual Health Plans (IHPs). Work with District
personnel regarding implementation of IEP goals and services.
* Advise campus administration in crisis or emergency situations
and participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child
* Work with the Director of Health Services to develop and
coordinate continuing evaluation of campus health program and make
changes based on findings. Develop and recommend campus policies
and procedures to promote the health and wellness of students and
* Supervise, train, and participate in evaluating LVNs with
responsibility for assisting students with health needs.
* Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other
documents required, including clinic records and accurate and
confidential student health records such as immunization records,
medication administration records, individual student treatment
records, and IHPs.
* Requisition supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic
* Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas
Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and Board
Policy. Comply with all District and campus routines and
* Report potential health and safety hazards to campus
* Follow District safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Professional Growth and Development
* Participate in staff development activities to improve
* Maintain professional nursing skills and knowledge as required by
the Texas Nurse Practice Act and the Texas Board of Nursing
including certification for mandated screenings and Basic Life
Support for Healthcare Providers (CPR/AED).
* Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff
committees as required.
* Maintain confidentiality.
* Develop and maintain systems for retrieval of information in
support of all programs; compile, maintain, file, and secure all
physical and computerized reports, records, and other required
* Pursue Professional Development activities for self and assigned
staff; ensure that Professional Development activities are aligned
with District goals and initiatives and current professional
* Comply with all policies, operating procedures, legal
requirements, and verbal and written directives.
* Comply with the Professional Code of Ethics and Standard
Practices for Texas Educators.
* Follow District safety protocols and emergency procedures.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
* Graduate of an accredited professional nursing education
* Valid registered nurse license (RN) from the Texas Board of
* Current automatic External Defibrillator (AED) and
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificates
* Certified by Texas Department of Health to conduct vision and
* Bachelor's degree preferred
* Two (2) years successful nursing experience outside of an
independent living environment
* Community health experience (preferred)
* Knowledge of health appraisal to identify student health
* Ability to provide direct care utilizing professional assessment
skills, the nursing process and established school health
* Ability to implement policies and procedures
* Knowledge of basic first aid
* Proficient keyboarding and file maintenance skills
* Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
* Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
* Standard medical clinic equipment including automated external
defibrillator (AED); special needs adaptive equipment
* Personal computer, phone systems, video/instructional equipment,
* Prolonged sitting and standing; frequent kneeling/squatting,
bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
* Frequent walking; repetitive computer work with frequent use of
hands and wrists
* Frequent light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); may
require regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and position of
students with physical disabilities; controlling behavior through
physical restraint, assisting non-ambulatory students
* Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and communicable
diseases; regular exposure to noise and computer monitors
* Work to be completed on-site from assigned school or building;
regular exposure to noise and computer monitors
* No remote work
* Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control
under stress work; prolonged or irregular hours
* Adapted from Recommended School Health Staff Roles published by
the Texas Department of Health School Health Advisory Committee,
January 14, 2013.
INTENT AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and
levels of work difficulty required of positions given this title
and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not
intended to limit, or any way modify the right of any supervisor to
assign, direct and control the work of
employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or
illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other
duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of
Keywords: Keller Independent School District, Keller , Nurse/RN (2022-2023) - Med Surg, Healthcare , Keller, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!